Wednesday, March 26, 2008

BBC Segment

It's been a very interesting week with the return of the broken racing sailboat, the beginning of the visitor's program, the supply ship coming in, and the BBC here enlightening the world about our plastic problem. They used a little clip of me picking up marine debris and saying a few things. I hope I won't be followed around by the Midway paparazzi now. Actually, I take more pictures than everyone else on island put together so I probably don't have to worry. This is the link to today's story:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_7310000/newsid_7314800/7314857.stm?bw=nb&mp=wm&asb=1&news=1&bbcws=1

And don't forget to read David's new internet story. His reports are a bit more colorful than mine, and also written much better. Most of the plastic we find is not so thought provoking. Lighters, toothbrushes, bottle caps, and broken bits of plastic make up the usual finds, but every now and then we find some toy or other item that really does make you wonder what it went through to get here. I'll get a picture tomorrow of a few of the more interesting items. Here's David's link again:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7312777.stm


I was taking a picture of these chicks in the marine debris when I heard a lot of squawking. There were two Great frigatebirds fighting over a fish.



The chaser ended up getting the fish from the chasee. Did I mention that Midway was a great place?

No comments:

Post a Comment