Friday, November 16, 2007

Great Day

Today was a really good day. I saw some good stuff. First, I sprayed some weeds, then went to Eastern Island to check on our bird calling stations. On the way over to Eastern, we saw a really big tiger shark eating an albatross. I didn't get great pictures of it but I'll show you what I've got. We guessed it was in the 10-12 foot range. I'm glad we were in the boat, but Ben, Kristin, and Matt were going snorkeling after they dropped Greg, Linda, and I off at Eastern. They were going to take the cinderblocks with the cloth to check for oyster colonization that Kristen and I had put in a couple months ago. They didn't end up seeing any sharks while they were doing that.
Over on Eastern There were a few turtles and lots of seals. We also found that the short-tailed albatross returned to its usual spot. There's only one and it comes back to the same spot every year, so we're hoping this year that maybe a mate will show up.

I helped out with picking up the cinderblocks this afternoon. It's not that easy to tread water holding a cinderblock you know.

I took some good pictures today so I'll probably be giving you photos from Eastern Island for a little while.
Here's the tiger shark we saw today. It already ate the albatross.
The short-tail is hanging out with the decoys.
A close-up of the "golden gooney", as people around here call it.
This is the solar panel for running the ipod shuffle that tries to attract more short-tails. We have a couple more of these around to attract Bulwer's petrels. There were a lot of those petrels until the rats extirpated them from Midway.

No comments:

Post a Comment