Sunday, June 24, 2007

Nice Day

Today actually was a nice day (except for the 1 hour of rain in the middle of the afternoon). I took a lot more pictures but I can't post them now because I'm recharging my camera battery. Just go back and look at the ones I posted last week.
Today my boss and his wife found a dead monk seal pup. It had died at least a couple days ago and was only a day or two old. They had to do a necropsy on it and I think every fly on the island came to witness it. It looks like it may have had some developmental problems. So that was interesting.
I think I've finally explored the whole perimeter of the island now. I still think it's great here. The wildlife is amazing.
We had a Father's Day party tonight with the local band playing. I know it's a week late, but we needed some excuse for a party since we didn't have an incoming plane this week. Today a sailboat came in that was on its way from Australia to California that needs some repairs. So they'll be stuck here at least for 4 more days until our next supply plane comes in with their parts.
Also, I'll respond to some of the comments for you new people. I work for the US Fish and Wildlife Service on a temporary position for 6 months doing invasive species management. The main job is getting rid of a plant called verbesina (golden crown-beard, it's the yellow flower you see in many of my photos), but on an island with only 65 people, you have to do whatever needs doing. Midway is 1 hour earlier than Hawaii and only about 120 miles from the International Date Line. And yes, the white terns are as nice as they look. I don't know why they like to fly 3 feet from your head, but they are interesting companions. And for you new people, don't forget to look through my old posts for pics. See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment